Revision as of 04:53, 26 June 2019 by Admin (Text replacement - "https://www.collinsdictionary.com/sounds/e/en_/en_us/" to "https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/sounds/hwd_sounds/")
Pronunciation (Yadda ake faɗi)
Third person singular
- (transitive) When you hold something, you put it in your hand and keep it there. <> riƙe abu a tafin hannu.
- (transitive) When you hold something, you keep it in one place and do not let it move away. <> riƙe.
- (transitive) If you hold someone accountable/responsible/liable, you put the responsibility for something on them. <> mallaka, riƙe da iko..
- say, "i hold not for myself [ the power of ] benefit or harm <> ka ce: "ba ni mallaka wa raina wani amfani, kuma haka ban tunkuɗe wata cuta, = [ 7:188 ] ka ce, "bani da ikon taimakawa kaina, ko cutar da kaina. --Qur'an 7:188
- It's not clear if parents should be held responsible for the problems their children cause.
- We are trying to finally get tobacco companies held responsible for killing people.
- (intransitive)/(linking) If something holds true/good, it is or continues to be true. <> yadda da abu.
- The drug extends life for mice. If this holds true in humans as well, it will be a great advance.
- He might be able to do it, but I don't think that holds for most men.
- (linking) If you hold somebody prisoner/hostage/captive, you do not allow them to go free. <> riƙe wani a kurkuku.
- Police in Luxembourg say a gunman holding 29 children hostage is demanding a mini-bus to take him to the airport.