- (countable) A hole in the ground for getting water or oil. <> rijiya.
- In a good way. <> da kyau
- Synonym: good
- Healthy, not sick. <> lafiya lau
- Synonym: fine
- I had the flu, but then I got well.
- Used to acknowledge a statement or situation. <> toh, ai to
- “The car is broken.” “Well, we could walk to the movies instead.”
- “I didn't like the music.” “Well, I thought it was good.”
- “I forgot to pack the tent! Well, I guess we're sleeping under the stars tonight.”
- An exclamation of surprise, often doubled or tripled. <> to fah!
- Well, well, well, what do we have here?
- Used in speech to express the overcoming of reluctance to say something.
- It was a bit... well... too loud.
- Used in speech to fill gaps; filled pause.
- “So what have you been doing?” “Well, we went for a picnic, and then it started raining so we came home early.”
- Al’amuran Nijeriya kusan dai ana iya cewa, to, sai abunda dai mutum ya gani. <> Concerning the problems in Nigeria, one can almost say, well, one can only talk about what one sees.